The International Capital Market Association (ICMA)
Among its members are private and public sector issuers, banks and securities houses, asset managers and other investors, capital market infrastructure providers, central banks, law firms and others.
Through its committees, ICMA brings together members from all sectors of the wholesale and retail debt securities markets to inform its work on regulatory and market practice issues, which impact all aspects of international market functioning. ICMA prioritises four core fixed income market areas – primary; secondary; repo and collateral; and green, social and sustainable.
The objectives of the association are:
- to promote good relations among its members and to provide a basis for joint examination and discussion of questions relating to the international capital and securities markets and to issue rules and make recommendations governing their operations; and
- to provide services and assistance to participants in the international capital and securities markets.
The mission of ICMA is to promote resilient well-functioning international and globally coherent cross-border debt securities markets, which are essential to fund sustainable economic growth and development.
In pursuit of its mission, ICMA is committed to:
- building trust in the market by promoting internationally accepted standards of best practice through the development of appropriate, broadly accepted guidelines, rules, recommendations and standard documentation, aimed at maintaining and enhancing the framework of cross-border issuing, trading and investing in debt securities;
- encouraging information flows and dialogue between all participants in the international capital markets: borrowers, intermediaries and investors, and service providers, including trading platforms, clearing houses and law firms;
- across all ICMA’s core areas engaging with international and national regulators and policy makers, to provide market expertise and technical knowledge to assist in ensuring that financial regulation promotes the resilience, efficiency and cost effectiveness of international capital markets;
- providing networking opportunities for market participants through conferences, seminars, roundtables and other events;
- promoting high professional standards for capital market participants by providing training and education opportunities.
ICMA is committed to equality, diversity and inclusion and to promoting the highest standards of professional integrity.
International Capital Market Association (ICMA)